45 From 05: A 2005/2006 Retrospective
Who am I kidding, it’s just another survey. (A hybrid from Karen and Heather.)
- What was your favorite moment of the year? I think it was the Moroccan dinner that the Boy took me to for my birthday, which was utterly wonderful, and then ended with a surprise group of my friends at a bar. It was several hours, not a moment, but it was lovely.
- What was your least favorite moment of the year? Feeling exhausted and torn on Christmas.
- Where were you when 2005 ended? At a party at the Boy’s parents’ house, wondering if he was going to kiss me or keep yelling into the microphone. I am not that awful kind of passive lump, but I have been out of sorts lately.
- Who were you with when 2005 ended? The Boy, his siblings and their friends, my brother, Karen and Kris, Steve and his brother, and a handful of other people.
- Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions? Some, but there were over a dozen pages, so not all. You think Iâ€™m kidding.
- What did you do in 2005 that you’ve never done before? I went scuba diving. I began the longest thing Iâ€™ve ever written. I saw
. I found my first grey hair. I went to a professional hockey game. I started going to my friendsâ€™ weddings and housewarmings. I learned self-defense. I went wedding-dress shopping. Dallas
- What was your favorite month of 2005? Usually itâ€™s whichever one has a vacation trip in it, but there wasnâ€™t one this year.
Lake Placidin January was nice, though.
- What countries did you travel to in 2005? Utterly depressingly, none.
- What states did you travel to in 2005?
New Jersey, New York, WashingtonD.C., California, Texas
- Did you miss anybody in the past year? Myself, at times.
- Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2005? Nope.
- Did you do a lot of drugs in 2005? None.
- Did you hope for something you didn’t get in 2005? A bit more discipline.
- What do you wish you’d done more of? Being active and being with people.
- What do you wish you’d done less of? Procrastinating.
- Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year? I didn’t finish my thesis. I gained weight. I spent not nearly as much time and attention on the important people as I should have, and way too much on silly things.
- What was the biggest lie you told in 2005? Probably something to explain being late for something.
- What was the worst lie someone told you? â€œWeâ€™ll get bonuses.â€
- Did you treat somebody badly in 2005? Probably. I get very distracted and preoccupied and don’t give people enough attention.
- Did somebody treat you badly in 2005? I honestly don’t think anybody really did. I’m a lucky person.
- What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? More time, less distraction, more money, plane tickets out of the country.
- What dates will remain etched upon your memory, and why? If you knew my memory, you would realize the laughability of that question.
- What was your biggest achievement? Getting promoted, I guess I should say, but I think more than that it was just keeping working on figuring myself out.
- What was your most embarrassing moment? There were plenty, but it’s hard to remember one. Which probably should tell me to be less embarrassed.
- Did you suffer illness or injury? Very little. Again, Iâ€™m very lucky.
- Whose behavior merited celebration? My dadâ€™s and my brotherâ€™s are the ones that spring to mind first.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My own, at times.
- Where did most of your money go? Savings and graduate school.
- How did you spend Christmas? In motion.
- What was the best book you read? I finally read “Emma” after getting it for Christmas, but “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” made me cry like no book ever has.
- What was your greatest musical discovery? BBC Radio 1.
- What was your favorite film of this year? I donâ€™t get to the movies nearly as often as Iâ€™d like. But I loved â€œMr. & Mrs. Smithâ€ when I finally saw it on an airplane.
- What did you do on your birthday? I worked, and then went to a sushi restaurant with my family.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Finishing my thesis.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? An uphill battle.
- What kept you sane? Writing, deep breathing, crying.
- What political issue stirred you the most? The ongoing gay marriage debate, but also the ongoing war in
- Who did you miss? Myself, toward the end of the year.
- Who was the best new person(s) you met? The people at the tae kwon do studio where I take cardio karate classes.
- Name a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005. Never even consider giving up.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming….”
- Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer? Sadder, I think. Fatter. Richer, I guess, which is nice to realize.
- Do you have New Year’s resolutions for 2006? Many.
- What are your plans for 2006? Many.
- What do you hope to achieve in 2006? Do a good job at work, finish my thesis, get married, buy a house, sort myself out, and possibly, just possibly, relax a little.