New Music Tuesday
Why has music always been released on Tuesdays in the U.S.? Apparently nobody’s quite sure. I find that vaguely unsatisfactory. Fortunately these are more satisfactory. Some are truly new; others are my flavors of the week.
- PR/DES. If Haim were boys from Glasgow they’d be Prides; they have won me over entirely.
- X Ambassadors. Yes, that Beats ad, but it’s a brilliant ad. (I dislike the Jay-Z remix, though, surprisingly.)
- Sam Smith. While some of “In the Lonely Hour” drags, his cover of “How Will I Know” is startlingly perfect.
- Alt-J. They’re named after a keyboard shortcut and Tilda Swinton loves them. What more need you?
- Incubus. They keep popping up and I feel a bit like it’s Tray yelling at me. I do wish you were here.
- Coheed & Cambria. She’d approve of them too.
- Ed Sheeran. This adorable idiot in his wellies. “X” is a grower but I’m into it. As if I might not be.
- Jon Nally. Speaking of guys with guitars. He’s doing a cover series on YouTube and I’m in awe.
- Ella Henderson. Yes, I’m still obsessed with her. No, her album is still not out. Ugh.
- Zedd. Is at Electric Zoo Festival but I’m neither cool nor flush enough. He’s amazing though. Talent for days.
- As a palate cleanser, Musicless Music Videos are oddly compelling – videos, minus music, plus ambient SFX.
Your turn: what else should be on my Summer 2014 playlist?