Bits and Pieces
So sometimes, I write something down fast and save it as a draft blog so I won’t forget it. And then I’ll pick it up again later and write something totally scintillating and hysterical and incisive.
Right? Well. Sometimes. Or, I’ll realize I have rather a lot of those lying around and I should probably start fresh.
So, in a fit of housecleaning, here they all are. Some of them are probably years old. It’s pretty embarrassing, and I come off looking like a complete schizophrenic. Whatever. Fresh start. Think of them as a peek into my curly little head. I offer no explanation, no elaboration, no elucidation. Go for it.
Best movie kisses
- Kyra Sedgwick and John Travolta in the kitchen in Phenomenon even though I don’t like him, or even that movie
- Lucia Muniz and Colin Firth in the restaurant in Love Actually but really just the whole movie
- Rene Russo and Pierce Brosnan on the stairs in The Thomas Crown Affair but yeah, the whole movie too
- Franka Potente and Matt Damon in the bathroom in The Bourne Identity, “
- Angeline Jolie and Brad Pitt in the rain in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, “
- Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfayden at the end of Pride & Prejudice
Passive Aggressive Notes
- You know you’re Catholic when you misread a sign for “Quilt Shop” as “Guilt Shop.”
- You can order cell phone wallpaper from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.
- How much is our emerging “Perez Hilton working out of a coffee shop” lifestyle just a return – or at least an attempt to fit our 21st century careers back – to our old-fashioned “cafe in the plaza” European lifestyles of centuries ago?
- Best thing someone’s said to me recently: “Good luck with your artistry” – when I didn’t think I was being particularly artistic.
- People who have achieved world domination, based on a recent unscientific sampling: Justin Timberlake, Chuck Taylor, Bob Marley, and whoever invented Crocs.
Ballet Shoes – Noel Streatfeild
The Dark Is Rising series –
The Chronicles of Narnia series – C.S. Lewis
Five Children and It – E. Nesbit
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy – J.R.R. Tolkien
The Secret Garden
The Little Princess
The Anne of Green Gables series and everything by L.M. Montgomery
The Four-Story Mistake
Bridge to Terabithia
It was a never-ending story… with no luck dragon.
The way you smile when you look at me
The way my hand feels in yours
The way your shoulders fill out your t-shirt
The way your jeans sit on your hips
The way you talk to a little kid
Whether you hold the door for me
If you can make me feel like I can dance
Truth number one: mornings come too early.
Truth number two: apart from once or twice a year, I don’t drink anything caffeinated.
So how do I wake up? Really loud, really, really, really cheesy music.
Why – you ask – which songs? Because I must do this as well! Help me!
Certainly, I reply. And I’m not just doing this because I’m low on ideas for posts, either. Nope. It’s just that the people catching me singing at the top of my lungs and bopping around? They’re missing out. And they? They could be you. So yup. I’m all about the public service. Not at all about the desperate for content. Nope. Not here.
And fortunately, for you, I am also connoisseur of the cheesy music.
Buckcherry, Crazy Bitch. Especially good for when you still have hoarse sleepy voice.
Gia Farrell, Hit Me Up. For when you feel like a penguin. And who doesn’t.
Dutch featuring Crystal Waters, My Time.
Avril Lavigne, Girlfriend.
Las Ketchup, Asereje. Only if you can do the hand jive.
Going Out of My Head, Fatboy Slim. The combination of the guitar riff and the Kaoss pad distortion is truly ideal for seeing how loud your speakers get.
I am one of Hallmark’s best customers.
I’m a dork. You knew this. But I love the idea of somebody I like opening something that makes them happy.
In my defense, I do hate all that other Hallmark tchotchke crap. And I don’t own a card organizer or anything, I promise. But yeah. I’m a soppy girly goofball. I know.
All of which to explain that I really loved these ideas on… alternative greeting cards.
- Under-communicated sentiments from the fabulous finslippy, one of my favorite new places
- From the Bittersweet Collection
I hate finding street parking, but I love parallel parking.
I’m more of a morning person than a night person, but I hate getting up.
I hate Pennsylvania, but a lot of people I love live all over that darn state.
Hope nothing you’re served is anything like a Squirrel Melt.
Trading Spaces. Frank and Ty, after eating dog biscuits:
Frank: Do you have the urge to chase a cat now?
Ty: I always have the urge to chase the cat, if you know what I mean.
Justin and Britney duet
“The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash” – which I never read, just saw on “Reading Rainbow.” I can hear Levar Burton reading it out loud in my head.
I can’t find the Polaroid commercial where the kids (including Tobey Maguire, apparently) make a family-tree poster for their grandparents. YouTube failed me.
The very first Z100 Jingle Ball at Madison Square Garden, December of I think 1995. Not sure – maybe 1994. Bon Jovi, Green Day, Melissa Etheridge, Indigo Girls, and a few other bands. And I met my first lesbians that night.
The California Raisins, “I Heard it on the Grapevine.” I got it for Christmas with a My First Sony Walkman. I was 10, so I remember being a little embarrassed because I felt that I was too old for a goofy red kid Walkman.
My first Sony
Originally uploaded by rogiro I guess it was just underpaid singers doing Motown covers, but it’s why I still love “Dancing in the Streets”. I also got New Kids on the Block “Hangin’ Tough” that year. O, the shame.