2014 Top Ten: Goals
Welcome to the end of the year: One top 10 post for each of the last 10 days of 2014.
- Healthy living.
It may not surprise you that I’m pretty big on goals. Weekly, monthly, yearly, five-year, ten-year. Etc. I do wonder if I should set different goals… or maybe not have as many… but they’re definitely a Thing with me.
In the interest of accountability, I’ll lay some of them out – past and future both.
Here were 10 of my goals for 2014, and how I did against them:
- In my first year as a freelancer, gross half of what I made in my last year of corporate work. (That’s been a huge financial hit, obviously, but it was still two to three times more than what I was told to expect in my first year as a freelancer.) Done. And I did a bit more than that, even. I’m psyched about that. Impoverished, but psyched.
- Date somebody amazing. Done. I did, and he is, but we determined that I make a better friend to him than I do a girlfriend.
- Visit my closest friends more. Done. Some of the lesser-renowned cities of our great nation have seen a lot of me this year. Pittsburgh, Orlando, Milwaukee, Easton… I’m talking to you.
- Get my second dan in tae kwon do. Done.
- Learn how to do toes-to-bar, double unders, bunny-hop-less box jumps, and pull-ups. Done. Here’s where I prevaricate: I can’t do consecutive T2B or DU, and only 20″ box jumps, and only a couple of kipping pull-ups – but still. Done.
- Run 10 miles. Not done. I ran two 10Ks, a 5-miler, a 4-miler and a couple of 5Ks, in addition to plenty of training, and I got faster – from 13-minute averages to 11 and a fastest mile of 9:19. But no, not 10 at one go this year.
- Be able to go down into a backbend again. Not done. No. Very no.
- Become a better teacher. Done? I think so. I’m more confident and creative, and more approachable. I haven’t killed anybody, I’ve only been told by one parent that her child hates me, and I don’t make anyone cry too often. I’m pleased with those results.
- Do full splits. Not done. I’m only an inch away from front splits, but I have a ways to go on a straddle.
Here are 10 of my goals for next year. Well. Ten buckets. More than 10 goals. Because I’m a nerd.
(Updates for 2015 are being made in parentheses as the year progresses)
- Become healthier. Be proud of what I eat. Get undetectable (0!) Tg levels (the marker for thyroid cancer), and under
30% 25%20% body fat (Done!? Calipers say 16.2% on 1/14?!). I don’t care what a scale or tag says. Those numbers are the ones I want.
- Become a better CrossFitter. Get a strict pull-up. Deadlift over
200250 lbs. (Done! 210 on 1/9!) Snatch 100, bench 150, and clean & jerk 125. Get skin-the-cats, consecutive double-unders, and free-standing handstands or handstand walks. Compete on a scaled team at Test Your Metal in July.
- Become a better martial artist. Write down forms (something I did for years and fell away from). Spar at least once a month.
- Become a better runner. Run a half-marathon and a sub-30 5K.
- Become more flexible. Get full front and side splits, backbend, cow face pose.
- Become a better freelancer.
Make 15% more than 2014.Net the same as I did in 2014. Be more prolific on my own blog. Strengthen and diversify my client base. Get a new certification to help with the preceding.
- Become safer financially. Rebuild emergency savings. Restart retirement savings. Find the best insurance to replace COBRA. (Done!) Save for home projects.
- Become a better human. Be kind. Assume the best. Meditate daily. Pray. Simplify. Create less garbage.
- Be more creative. Draw people and words. Take pictures. Cook. Bake. Write stories.
- Be more fun. Sing.
Visit a new country.Have a party. Do new things. Spend time loving the people I love. Be less shy with new ones. Stop buying things I don’t love. Laugh.